Still enjoying this drama even if the tonal shifts are jarring at times. For a serious genre, with life and death at stakes, Line Walker befuddles me in its embrace of comedy and happy-go-lucky tunes from time to time, sometimes within seconds of a dramatic scene. I guess even moles need breaks too. Anyway, as Hong Kong dramas air at rapid speed with five episodes a week, it’s hard for me to keep up with recaps so I decided on an alternative – this discussion post! So please join me as we guess and recover the last undercover agent (UC) and the big bad wolf in the police force. You can find this post under the discussion corner tab on the right hand corner of this website!
Please refrain from posting spoilers of the identities of the big wolf/last mole if you’ve read it beforehand in TVB magazines. At least wait until it is revealed in the episodes. Other than that, nothing is restricted!
UPDATED (9/25/14): Episode 16-20 Summary.
I am sometime slow in typing up my summaries/comments (I didn’t even do my Picture Commentary!), so don’t worry, when I encoded the videos, I have watched the episodes.
- Siu Ka (Charmaine Sheh) intercepts Flounder’s succeeding the Master Chair of Hung Ying on behalf of Foon Hei (Benz Hui). No longer interested in running illegal bookmaking, Foon Hei wants a steadier income and promises the elder members that if they voted for him, he would make sure everyone earns huge amounts of cash. Case is closed and Foon Hei becomes the big boss of Hung Ying.
- Flounder is rightfully angry and Siu Ka runs after him to apologize for her audacity – she only did it for the sake of her three mothers. Not a forgiving person, Flounder laughs manically, raises his hand and strikes down, but Bao Seed sees the key in his grip and shields Siu Ka from the weapon, earning himself a red, burning cut across his pretty cheek. YO! That wound better heal or I’m going after yo head! Later, Siu Ka takes the shard glasses out of his back after he’s pushed by Flounder into the waste baskets. The funny thing is she tries to divert his attention away from the pain by moaning out these sexual groans! Oh gosh. Bao Seed laughs his head off.
- Now that he isn’t the big boss anymore, Flounder decides to play nice with Foon Hei when the latter offers 20 percent of Pui Man (his new investment company)’s shares to Flounder. Elated, the former shakes hand and plays tea party….for now. Our undercover agents report as much to Cheuk Sir.
- While partying with Flounder under Foon Hei’s orders, poor Kobe runs into his ex-girlfriend, Ah Yan, allowing her to see him kissing the girls and polluting the air with his nasty presence.
- Is Cheuk Sir creepy or not? He bugs Ah Yan’s phone and house, including her sister’s house. We meet Mok Sin Ching (Elena Kong), an obedient and submissive wife who is currently being physically abused by her bastard husband. Cheuk Sir hears the smashing and slapping going on, but he can’t help and therefore feels helpless.
- Foon Hei tricks Flounder, leaving the latter homeless and on the run. Whoever finds him is heavily rewarded. This leads Bao Seed meeting with Cheuk Sir when the two try to capture Flounder – for different reasons of course.
- This begins with episode 7’s cliff hanger, Cheuk Sir notices Bao Seed’s nimble hands in handling a gun and suspects that he’s also an undercover agent, planted by Flounder’s side. With Flounder’s death, he rises to the former’s position, with a new leather jacket to signify his power! hehe.
- Cheuk Sir asks Siu Ka and Kobe to test Bao Seed but their tests are always interrupted.
- Cheuk Sir coincidentally sees Sin Ching at the hospital and his eyes squeeze tight with anger and sympathy when her face is covered with new and old wounds. He needs to do something. Including becoming her new chef teacher to get close to her. This isn’t creepy right? Because his intention is noble and righteous?
- Foon Hei tells his followers his latest crazed investment – drugs.
- Cheuk Sir confronts Sin Ching’s husband and asks the beaten woman to report her husband but she shoos him away. Wow. Elena is quite captivating and convincing as the battered wife, no? Just look at that meekness in her face! And the messy hair! And the huge eye bags!
- Kobe sees Ah Yan in a wedding dress with her current boyfriend – Yip Sir, and his emotions come running out in all directions. He wants to be reinstated immediately because he can’t lose Ah Yan. Not a second time. Cheuk Sir relents for a moment before explaining the consequences of his action – would Foon Hei let him and Ah Yan live happily ever after? The only thing to do is to nail Foon Hei as quickly as possible.
- Bao Seed’s first drug assignment is to steal drugs from one man, letting the said man think that his current enemy stole it. Cue an hilarious sequence where Bao Seed and Siu Ka deal with a hungry rottweiler in a dog’s shelter, after retrieving the drugs. Siu Ka falls and her butt kisses two nails on a wooden piece. LOL Raymond is totally enjoying Charmaine’s screaming in the background. Like a gentleman (after the laughing), he wraps his sweater around her butt and the close proximity gives rise to Siu Ka’s pink cheeks. Someone’s in love!
- Bao Seed confirmed as the 3rd Undercover agent. The other undercover agents don’t know of this yet. Turns out the beggar, Ah Lok, that Bao seed is seen helping several times in the past episodes became that way because he was shot in the head when Bao Seed’s previous gangster Boss beat the two up and shot Ah Lok in the head.
- Another undercover agent revealed? The girl working in the ICAC team under Ah Yan. She’s Ada Tse On Yee (Skye Chan). But isn’t that weird though cause the original handler erased her profile, or did he also create a second, fake profile for her? Confused.
- Kobe and Siu Ka investigate their handler, Cheuk Sir. If he was clean, why would the ICAC opens a file for him? But they find nothing and Kobe warns Siu Ka to be careful of both Bao Seed and Cheuk Sir, as he doesn’t want to lose a valuable partner. Aw. I just love the camaraderie in this drama!
- Siu Ka tags along Bao Seed while he’s carrying out Foon Hei’s orders to supply drugs to a big shot. But the big shot rolls up a bill and points to Siu Ka, wanting her to sniff the drugs and prove its authenticity. With his insistence and Siu Ka’s refusal, Bao Seed sniffs the drugs and undergoes temporary hallucinations. Before they head out, the real boss, a beautiful woman who goes by the name On Lam, introduces herself in her sexy deep blue dress. Wow. A sexy actress in TVB? I googled and her name is Ankie Beilke. What a sexy vixen!
- Intense scene ahead after Bao Seed wobbles down the hallway and Siu Ka helps him inside a suite and douses him with water to wake him up. When that temporarily relieves the drug effects, he crawls outside and asks Siu Ka to inject him with something (I don’t know what?) She shrills that she doesn’t know how to but when he starts seizing uncontrollably, she has no choice but to stab him in the chest with the needle. She continues to scream and sob simultaneously until he exhales a big breath and regains a somewhat normal breathing pattern. They spend the night in each other’s arms to keep warm because a fancy hotel’s blanket CAN NEVER BE COMPARED TO HUMAN FLESH! 😀
- In the morning, the drama dives right back into its comical tone. Amazing, isn’t it?
- So who do you think is the last UC and the big bad cop?
- Ah Yan pretends that her sister is in debt and lets Kobe listen into her fake conversation in order to get his attention. Of course, our lovesick puppy responds immediately with a check sent to her mailbox. Mind sending me a check too, buddy rich rich? Playing the part of a righteous madam, she refuses the check and exactly like he’s done in the past, Kobe gives her two stock numbers – she can choose to buy them or not. She “bought” them her sister’s money problem is solved, and now they can become friends again. She continues to play the fake game and is let inside his home once. While he’s changing, she copies files on his desktop onto a USB. The plan later backfires – instead of finding relevant information about Cheuk Sir and their dealings – she finds a folder of their (his and her) past photos… Then she bumps into the star lamp she wanted in his condo too. She cries thinking about their wonderful past.
- Foon Hei devises a test to see who’s on his side and who’s not. The scariest thing he says, “Perhaps there’s more one than mole.” EEEK!! And he has worked in the CIB before! CRAP!
- He divides his followers into three 2-men team and tells them to pick up the bags of drugs at different parts of a mall. Of course, the drugs are just flour. He wants to know who will report this transaction to the police.
- Such a crazy beginning! Now that we have one of the bad guys (picture above, threatened by Kobe) accidentally knowing the identity of all three undercover agents, this is like a ticking time bomb! Why are you guys so reckless! Especially Kobe! Shouldn’t he be more cautious of the cunning Foon Hei to know that this is a test?!
- The four UCs are united and Cheuk Sir’s reputation is cleared by Ada, so now Kobe and co. can’t doubt his integrity and intention anymore.
- Turns out the sexy beautiful On Lam (Ankie Beilke) works for her adopted dad, Shung Kam (Cheung Kwok Keung) and they are planning to revenge against Foon Hei for the betrayal five years ago. Foon Hei back-stabbed him, took the $500M worth of drugs, and even killed his wife and daughter.
- Cheuk Sir poking his nose into Sin Ching’s business once again. Believing that he’s changed for the better, Sin Ching loans the house and her savings to her lying husband, just to be shown by Cheuk Sir that her husband is cheating on her and planning to elope with his new woman. Sigh.
- Sin Ching slaps Cheuk Sir several times when he stops her from going deeper into the ocean. She yells at him for being a nosy busybody – she didn’t need and want to know what a bastard her husband is – she was happy being a stupid wife (WTH?) because he was the first man she dated and married. She believed that he’d change once he’s happier at work. I can’t believe she was a prosecutor before marrying and becoming a meek housewife! In only 3 years!!? That’s quite unbelievable for someone so high and probably proud to be doing. Should take longer for someone to become the way she is… taking abuse left and right.
- Ah Yan wants to postpone the wedding with Yip Sir. He’s not happy and tries to wiggle his way in unsuccessfully. Poor dude, he looks likes a decent boyfriend.
- On a lighter note, isn’t it hilarious that while many of us are deathly creeped out by Foon Hei, but he’s getting love calls from Siu Ka’s mothers? What’s more surprising is that Mama Rose actually recognizes him as the handsome cop with a scar running down the corner of his eye who saved her thirty years ago and changed her life with his inspirational speech.
- Charmaine chose the best role in this drama! She has chemistry with everyone and it’s adorable how we always get scenes with her and her sweeter-than-sugar three mothers, who are all in love with Foon Hei at the moment. This ought to be fun when they figure it out.
- Poor On Lam, she has one episode when her thirst for drugs takes over and she thinks Bao Seed is her godfather and pleadingly asks for some drugs. Bao Seed has no choice but takes out a secret stack to relieve her withdrawal symptoms. She then kisses him but he refuses the seduction and carries her inside his room. She sleeps peacefully until the next morning. Aww, waking up to see Raymond Lam’s face ain’t too shabby now. But poor Little Raymond, he has to endure the repercussion of Big Raymond not answering Siu Ka’s calls. LOL.
- After being piloted away on a car by her crazy husband, Sin Ching is tied to the passenger’s side with Cheuk Sir chasing relentlessly behind them. To stop the van, he faces it head on in the opposite direction and flings himself off of the motorcycle, crashing his head on the sidewalk as a result. When he slowly regains consciousness, he trudges towards the flaming van, while Sin Ching witnesses the nature of her nasty husband as he crawls his way out of the car window, leaving her trapped behind… Such a heartbreaking scene. The man she has loved all her life runs away from her, while the man she barely knew limps towards her with a bloody head.
- OMG CHEUK SIR!! I LOVE YOU!! Michael Miu’s wife is one lucky woman. This man is still in good shape! 🙂
- Ouch. To be a triad boss and to hear his own son saying that he hates all bad guys and wants to be a policeman when he grows up, must be a harsh slap to Foon Hei’s face.
- Yip Sir trying to kill Kobe (after seeing his passionate kiss with Ah Yan after the explosion) but is stopped by Foon Hei and his body guard. Dude, I take back my nice boyfriend comment, he’s a psycho! Turns out Yip Sir is part of the big bad team in the police force; he and Foon Hei are working under a mysterious man called Mr. Song. The current mission is to get rid of On Lam and her adopted father.
- Ada reveals that she is Hong Sir’s lover but due to their work status, they didn’t spend that much time together.
- A big event with three sides involved – Chum Foon Hei selling drugs to old enemy, Shung Kam, with Yip Sir and Cheuk Sir both monitoring the transaction not far from the location.
- Yir Sir plays hanky panky with the channel that the whole police force is using to listen and communicate with each other about the operation, including the ones between Cheuk Sir and his UCs, and then asks his subordinate to use a different channel since this one has been compromised.
- With Shung Kam hiring a bunch of Thai mercenaries, the SDU guys (If only we have a cross-over with our Tiger Cubs boys) are called on sight to seize the goods, and if met with resistance, killing is necessary. CRAP!
- But before the SDU arrive, the thai mercenaries are already at the scene, shooting to kill, including On Lam and her people, along with Bao Seed and Siu Ka. On the other side, Foon Hei finds himself in a grave situation with one of his underlings being a mole placed by Shung Kam, now pointing a gun at this head, and marking Shung Kam’s appearance at the warehouse.
- Geez! Now that the SDU guys are here, they get into a shooting battle with the Thai mercenaries, leaving Bao Seed and Siu Ka in shock because they belatedly figure that they have to run away from the cops too. LOL (somehow this is funny.)
- Foon Hei turns the table around on his old Foe using a hacking trick so that no money was desposited into Shung Kam’s bank account. And now he can’t kill Foon Hei.
- Dang, Foon Hei is wicked smart. With him working with Yip Sir, he knows exactly when to detonate the bombs, giving himself free time to get away, and letting the cops deal with Shung Kam and his underlings. But revenge drives Shung Kam and he chases after Foon Hei, Kobe, and his bodyguard. With the bodyguard shot and knocked unconscious, Yip Sir spies from another building and shoots Shung Kam, then he moves to the next target – KOBE!! Fortunately, when Yip Sir shot Shung Kam, he reveals his location and Cheuk Sir is able to help Kobe avoid the deadly bullets. Whew.
- But the action doesn’t end there. We still have the SDU VS Thai Mercenaries VS our poor UCS in Bao Seed and Siu Ka. The latter is emotionally unstable at the moment and hugs Bao Seed, telling him to take care of her three mothers if she dies. Aw. He promises to save her and shoots at a gas tank to divert attention, giving them a small leeway to make their way towards the van with the drugs. But Bao Seed is shot and he tells a shrieking Siu Ka to drive away, while he’s taken in by On Lam and her people.
- Siu Ka takes matter in her own hands and decides to trade the drugs for Bao Seed from On Lam. She’s not stupid though, and arms herself with explosives. If they shoot, they can all die together. On Lam checks the good and based on the brief eye exchange between the two ladies, we know that On Lam is helping Bao Seed and Siu Ka. Aw! Don’t die! Don’t die!!
- When the lackeys figure out the drugs are fake, they chase after Bao Seed and Siu Ka, and Cheuk Sir happens to see them and is able to hold off the mercenaries, with one being able to follow the couple. Just when he’s in clearance to shoot Bao Seed, On Lam jumps in and takes the bullet! OMG! She utters, “Thank you. I finally met a good guy who’s true to me.” The words sting and Bao Seed replies slowly, “I’m not a good guy. Actually I’m…” She cuts him off with: “It doesn’t matter what you are. Meeting you was the happiest thing.” Noooooooooooo!!
- That’s not the end of the action-packed episode though, because while Foon Hei smirks at his brilliant plan, his son, Ah Sing, bleeds to death after falling from a tree while trying to retrieve the kite Foon Hei glued for him. The words his young son said earlier ring in his ears, “I do. I know that if I’m killed one day, it’s the karma of your bad doings.” Foon Hei laughs and cries manically at the top of a cliff. This is scary. He only has two options now – be the devil with more blood on his hands or turn around and be the good guy his son looked up to.
- And I’m speechless, so many deaths today with On Lam and Ah Sing’s deaths being the least expected. I really thought that On Lam would survive because why kill off such a mesmerizing and sympathetic character so early in the series? I can’t believe I cared so much about On Lam even with her little screen time. She could’ve been a great friend and foil for Bao Seed and Siu Ka… Why oh why!!
- Foon Hei feeds the traitor who betrayed him to Shung Kam to the dogs. I cannot believe they would treat the dogs like that!
- Witnessing the horrible consequences of betraying Foon Hei, Kobe loses his head again. He repeats to Cheuk Sir that he wants to be reinstated, alas, the profiles cannot be installed with the black cop still unidentified. Taking matters into his own hands, Kobe risks it all. He steals the money Foon Hei entrusted to him, disappears for two days, and stays at a hotel – drunk and suicidal.
- Just a second before he shoots himself, Cheuk Sir tracks his phone and pulls the gun away, flinging the drunk idiot onto the bed. But all Cheuk Sir needs to say to get his brain out of his behind is pointing out Yip Sir as the possible bad cop to awake Kobe’s protective nature of Ah Yan. He must protect her! He must not let her get hurt. Sigh~
- Yip Sir orders Foon Hei detained for 48 hours on the day of his son’s funeral. He smashes a flower vase and swears that no one can stop him from attending his own son’s funeral. Surprisingly, our three UCs help him achieve that wish.
- There’s this horrifying moment for Foon Hei as he climbs into his vehicle of transportation to keep the cops off his back, a coffin, and he realizes how lonely and cold Ah Sing must be feeling to be in it alone.
- Last 5 minutes was phenomenal. We have Benz Hui performing his best and probably his most memorable performance as he kneels beside Ah Sing’s body and pleads for another chance to be a dad that he expected. I cried so hard in this scene – the gentle tone, the guilt-ridden tears, and those expressive eyes of Benz killed it.
- Ah Yan starts suspecting Yip Sir as a corrupted cop – receiving money from the gangs to cover up their illegal activities. She tells this to Ada.
- Sin Ching wins her case after returning to work. Cheuk Sir secretly sits in the background to listen to her arguments. They share a meal afterwards.
- Kwok Sir promotes Yip Sir to Hong Sir’s vacated position. Do we need more evidence to pinpoint the bad guys from the good ones? His first assignment is to remove Cheuk Sir from investigating Hung Ying and tasks him with petty jobs of monitoring a trading company for money laundering.
- Louse attracts the attention a rich man called Mr. Pong after showing off his skills in cars.
- Ah Yan finds out that Yip Sir has a gun, money, and a fake passport in the back of a red car. Goosebumps run up and down her back, knowing that she doesn’t know who he is after all.
- When Ah Yin goes missing during a mission, clearly planned by Yip Sir, a frantic Cheuk Sir texts the UCs for help, unaware that Yip Sir is decoding the text and arrives at their usual meeting area with his team. ACK!
- Lucky Cheuk Sir comes on time and shut off the lights of the tunnel. Whew.
- After losing his son, Foon Hei appears rather laid-back and doesn’t want to be involved in illegal activities any longer but a visit from Mr. Song’s man jerks him out of this fantasy.
- Foon Hei brings Siu Ka, Bao Seed, and Kobe along when he discusses a big project with three gangsters from a village about buying their land.
- STUPID! STUPID ADA! After the UCs were raided last time at the tunnel, she figures she must have dropped the 7-colored keychain Hong Sir gave her, so she asks someone to look for it and then meets the person in broad daylight to retrieve the item. GAH.
- Yip Sir infiltrates her house to search for intel but she returns to get her phone and notices that her chair is out of alignment. Ada grabs a sharp paper cutter and inches closer to the closet where Yip Sir is hiding but he’s smarter and pushes his way out. She’s not about to let him get away and pulls off his mask to reveal his identity. Well, woman, now you’re toast!! How could you be so stupid! Never face an intruder alone. Before she’s stabbed again, she tells him that they found out about his fake passport and separate bank account and the money has been frozen, which forces him to check his phone and she uses her last strength to carve the password to his account on her thigh…
- Having received no contact with Ada in the last 5 days, Cheuk Sir and the UCs begin searching for her. Cheuk Sir discovers that Yip Sir is allergic to wax trees and has been taking medications for it…so he boldly goes digging around areas where Wax trees are the most prominent. A very unsettling task.
- The UCs join in with the digging (again in broad daylight?!) and Siu Ka prays, “Don’t let me find you…” Alas, they find her buried there. These cops and their zero sense of discretion.
- Bao Seed and Kobe want to hit Yip Sir with their car; Siu Ka thinks they’re bluffing and doesn’t stop the car either. In the last second, Bao Seed swerves away from murder.
- Siu Ka follows Bao Seed, worried that he might try to do something crazy again. She confesses that she loves him. She turns away and he turns her around to have a passionate kiss. Make-out session blocked by Louse’s appearance at Bao Seed’s house. Lol.
- To stall time so that she can copy Yip Sir’s files, Ah Yan scratches his phone’s sim card. Dummy. Your nail polish is all over it! She calls Kobe, telling him that she found dirt on Yip Sir. She’s about to leave when Yip Sir figures this out quickly and guards the door before she can exit. Trouble, trouble!!
- He looks genuine hurt that she would investigate him but Ah Yan screams the same line we’ve heard before – “Why are you a dirty cop?! Why do you let me down?!” She pushes him and runs for her life. You dummy! Why do you hang onto the rope and not climb down it? Of course, Kobe arrives and they get in a brawl.
- When Yip Sir traps Ah Yan on the rooftop, Kobe charges forward, flipping Yip Sir and himself over the ledge and they both fall down. Yip Sir dies when he arrives at the hospital while Kobe undergoes multiple surgeries.
- What the heck is Ah Yan asking a comatose Kobe? “Are you a cop or a gangster? I want you to tell me in person.” This woman! He saves your life on multiple occasions! Why does his work status mean so much to you? So you will only marry a cop? Ahhhh, she frustrates me so!
- Well, well, well. He doesn’t need to tell her anymore because she finds his journal in the fish tank. Now she knows he’s a GOOD COP and Cheuk Sir is his handler.
- Kobe has his happy ending…for now. He’s alive! His love is alive! But these frequent headaches… I’m back to worrying again.
- Bao Seed & Siu Ka’s second make-out session FAILS because of no condom. This scene cracks me up when Bao Seed opens the front door with a handful of condoms, looking proud and giddy, thinking it’s Siu Ka but it’s actually her three mothers. OMG. The embarrassment!!
- Foon Hei and Siu Ka’s mom were each other’s first love. Here we go…